Monday, February 13, 2012

Chocolate Chip Salted Caramel Bars

I have a sweet treat to share with you in honor of Valentine's Day.
My friend and professional baker Brooke told me about these bars from Two Peas and Their Pod, and I knew I had to try them!  
 I have only made them with my staple cookie recipe.  (Recipe below.)
But I just had Brooke's that we made from their recipe too, and they were incredible.
Mine come out less of a bar and more of a thick cookie, both are amazing!


Here is my take on this sweet treat:


Cookie Recipe:
(adapted from my girl Caitlin's recipe)

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 t vanilla
3 cups flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
2 bars good chocolate, chopped*
1/2 bag chocolate chips*

*I alternate the bar of chocolate and the chips, I like to have mixed chocolates.
For example, bars of dark chocolate and milk chocolate chips.
If I don't have bars I will just use two different bags of chocolate chips.

Caramel:
10 oz caramel squares
3 T evaporated milk

Sea salt, for sprinkling

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Make the cookie dough.
Melt caramel and evaporated milk in a pan, stirring constantly.
In a 11x7 pan put a layer of cookie dough,
Add caramel on top, sprinkle with sea salt
Drop small spoonfuls of cookie dough on top, covering caramel.
Sprinkle more sea salt.
Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes.
Let cool, it is even better the next day when the caramel has cooled.
Enjoy!

12 comments:

Shannon said...

LOVE anything Caramel especially salted caramels. I will definitely be making these. Thanks for sharing!

I emailed you my address, not sure if you got it?

Smith, Here! said...

delicioso! Need to try :)

Amy Collins {Fresh and Fancy} said...

YUM! Will have to try these!

Ridgely's Radar said...

These look absolutely divine!

Melissa said...

These sound great and a must try for sure.

Ashlee Raubach said...

Goodness those look amazing!! Mouth is watering :)

Lula. said...

UM, yum. Have to try those.

My Crafty Home-Life said...

Hi, I was here before, but my iPhone could not get passed your word verification. I did a post on that if you are curious....anyway, I am dying to try this recipe. I think my kids would love it!

JuJuVee said...

this looks amazing, and i can't wait to try, but "make the cookie dough" is a little bit vague?? there are some of us who like to bake, but don't necessarily have all the basics down! can you please post how you made the actual cookie dough?? thanks!

Jitske said...

I made these and everybody loved them. They're probably the best thing I've ever made

Tonka Violet said...

This looks ridiculously delicious!! I cannot wait to try out this recipe.

I just followed me, check out my blog if you'd like =)

tonkaviolet.blogspot.com

Shari Zook said...

I just made this! Thanks for the delicious recipe!

I'm not sure what kind of pan you meant by "11x7" -- I used a 9x13 and the bars were still so thick they took an hour to bake. I had to cut off the over-browned edges.

The middle was great. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...