Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Home Tour: Our Living Room & Reader's Questions


Here are all the photos by Ashlee Raubach Photography of our Living Room.
I have received a lot of questions about this room, so I'm going to try and answer them all here.

The paint color is Swiss Coffee by Dunn Edwards. This paint is in the majority of our home, and I love it.  I often tell Dan that I don't know if I'll ever paint anything else as our main color.  It is the perfect white!

The chevron painting was one of the first things I posted about.  It was a fun DIY project and has made a lot of impact in the space.  It literally cost me close to nothing.  I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of wood, used paint I already had, and got to measuring.  The bottom uneven stripe was a mistake that I kept, I thought it added personality :)
(You can also see the difference the shelving makes too - the painting was made before we installed the shelves.)

The curtains were also a cheap trick!  I went to Home Fabrics and found a white fabric for $5/yd.  I was so nervous you'd be able to tell the fabric was so cheap.  I found a seamstress and had them made professionally with a french pleat.  

The rug is also Anthropologie and was bought five years ago.  And it is still available here!

The striped pillows I made with cotton fabric found at a random fabric shop.  It is not a "home" fabric, but remember to not limit yourself to that - especially for pillows.  It is easy to get away with different fabrics, scarves, and remnants of fabric.

The two flower pillows are from Anthropologie years ago.  I still love them and am so glad I have them!


This "Every Day I Love You" print is just a card I made my honey on Valentine's Day last year and framed it.

The black leaning mirror I received for Christmas, also five years ago, it can still be found here.

The accessories in the shelves are from all over!  Mainly from my travels, home goods, flea markets, and sale shopping.  Almost everything in these shelves were random trinkets I had in boxes before I got the shelves installed.  I couldn't spend anymore money after the custom shelving - so luckily I have been purchasing home goods since I graduated high school!  Yes, I was that girl who was buying home products while all my friends were buying clothes!














(above photo obviously by me.)
The table lamp was a one dollar find at D.I.  It worked and was a light wood stain.  
I roughly painted it with grey paint I had, and added a black target lampshade.  
It is now one of my favorite peices!
All other items are random finds except for the Fringe cloche, designed by my talented brother in law!


xo!

40 comments:

Lily said...

LOVE your living room...it is my new dream room. So inspiring !!

xxLily
goldandgray.blogspot.com

Allison said...

Your living room is absolutely stunning. I have complete living room envy right now!

Tiffany @ Savor Home said...

Well done! It looks so cozy and personable.

Jennifer said...

You have a gorgeous living room! Could you tell me where the curtains are from?

Emily Curfew said...

you have incredible style. you can tell that you are original and don't just copy trends and go with the flow. you do what you love and it all turns out so beautiful. you have a great eye for styling photos, too. i have no doubt your career will be extremely successful in styling, designing or whatever you end up doing. i've always loved following your blog from the beginning. thanks for sharing! -emily

Kristy Lynne said...

But where on earth did you find your coffee table?!

Simply Sara said...

I am so loving that every day I love you print, you should make some more of them, so I can buy them from you, I adore it!!!

simplysara83@gmail.com

About LL Fleur said...

Can you tell me what size your rug is?

things that sparkle said...

Gorgeous, your home is beautiful!

The Sister Sophisticate said...

It's so beautiful that I can't stand it!

Katie said...

I always appreciate shared sources (some people are so stingy!), so thanks for sharing! :)

Dr. Erin and Mr. Heath said...

Love your style! gorgeous living room. That rug actually is still available at Anthro, or a very close look-a-like. I have the same one in my office.
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=76300&catId=HOME-RUGS&navCount=852&navAction=top&isProduct=true&pushId=HOME-RUGS&popId=HOME-RUGS&fromCategoryPage=true&color=tom&subCategoryId=HOME-RUGS

Sabrina @ loulousucre said...

Your living room is beautiful!! I love how it is so light and airy and still really cozy. Just beautiful. I have also used antique bottles in my shelves, but I love how you have them in front of a frame. I may try something like that too. Good job!!

Fancy Pants said...

Oh my sweet goodness! I do believe my taste is SAME as yours but you know how to execute it! I love it all! I hate clutter but you manage to feature sweet items in such a classy way that doesn't look like clutter! Love, love, love...

nicole me oh my! said...

Thank you all for your comments!
The table I bought a few years ago as well at a design store clearance sale.
Thank you Dr. Erin! I updated the post with that link.
And the size of the rug is 8x10.

xo!

Tereza said...

LOVE it, and you blog is soo beautiful :)

Evans-burgh said...

Beautiful! Where did you find the leaning mirror?

Taylor said...

I am so in love with the "every day i love you" sign! You should consider making more and adding them to your shop :)

FlirtyGems said...

I'd love to know about the wood "saying" art you have in the entry way I saw it on madebygirl It was so sweet and lovely. Something about just you and me honey....

Chrissy said...

My favorite are the personalized touches. Love that you framed your card to d :)

Nycia @ Inspired Events said...

Simply beautiful!! I'm loving your blog! Following for sure!!

kris said...

oh how I love your home!

Anonymous said...

Could you please tell me where you bought your couch? Love the color and how comfy it looks!

Lindsey said...

The mirror links to the rug! Can you tell me where the mirror is from? I love it!!

Andrea @ strawberry-chic said...

Beautiful home, love your style! It's awesome that so many of your decor items are DIY projects, it makes the space so much more personal!

Candace said...

What color are your walls? Love the clean look.

Candace said...

Nevermind...I skipped right over it the first time. :)

NATURAL MODERN INTERIORS said...

Oh what a lovely house... All your DIY jobs add lovely touches to the rooms. You must be so pleased with the finished piece. Have fun this weekend, Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'd also love to know about the wood art with the ingrid michaelson lyrics!

CMae said...

I saw someone ask above if you considered making more of your "everyday I love you card print" Did you consider it? if not, I was just wondering, what size is that opening in the frame? did you print it on special paper or just regular computer paper! My significant other and myself's 1 yr anniversary is coming up and when I saw that I thought how perfect! (esp since he doesn't want me to spend any $ on him) typical guy right? hehe Hope to hear from you when you get a chance!

Sarah said...

Your living room is gorgeous! I so admire your use of white walls and white curtains - I love white but it can be a scary prospect making sure it doesn't make your room too sterile. You've done an amazing job here and your living room just looks bright and clean and airy!

~Sarah Wells

sarah said...

Hi :)

I'm new to your blog and have fallen madly in love with your style! I especially LOVE your striped pillows in your living room! After hours of searching, it has become clear to me that gray and white striped fabric is not easy to come by! Is that actually gray or is it navy? Do you remember what store you came across it at?

Well regardless, your home is beautiful!

Jill said...

Where did you get your window treatments? Not the curtains, but the bamboo one's. LoVe Everything!

Maggie said...

I am OBSESSED with your coffee table, but I can't seem to find anything even close to it. Have you seen a similar design anywhere or has anyone else come across something like it?

Jennifer Rizzo said...

Your living room is gorgeous! I love the modern pieces you have.

InteriorGroupie said...

Love so many aspects of your living room - it is providing a definite source of inspiration for some of the projects I have on the go! Love the chevron painting.

Amber said...

Will you come to my house and decorate it!? I'm in love with your blog. It has totally inspired me.

v.shirazawa said...

So lovely & inspring! Thank you!

bldgdreams.tumblr.com

Amelia said...

Did you put in the wood shelving? Where is it from?

Molly said...

Beautiful! What did you use on the ceiling and trim for paint color? Where do you find Dunn Edwards paint? I wonder if it is the same formula at Home Depot for Behr's swiss coffee.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...