Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas Leaf Garland


I was inspired by a felt garland I saw at Anthropologie and thought it would be perfect for our stairs or mantel!
This craft is super simple!!! It is just time consuming cutting all the leaves. I took two nights of putting on a movie/show and chatting with girlfriends and it was done.

All you need:
1 1/2 yards each of two different green felt
red balls
(and scissors and a hot glue gun)


(sorry about the poor iphone shots! It was late, and I didn't have my camera.)

First cut the 1-1 1/2" strips along the long yard side of your felt. I used three strips.
I then started with a simple template drawing of a leaf for the first set of leaves.
I cut 8 rectangles, then leaves at a time.
Leave the top of the leaf (the loop) to cut individually!
To make the loop it is very simple, create a circle at the top of your leaf, and then fold in half and make a small slit. You want it to be about 1/2 the size of your strip, so that it will bend while hung.


Once your leaves are all cut and the loops are made, string the leaves onto your strips at random.
I put about 5 leaves on before I pulled them through my strip.



Once all of your strips are filled with the leaves, glue your corners at an angle like below:
This way it will hang pretty!


Then glue thin strips long enough to tie around your banister onto the back of the corner.
Glue the red balls on top of the corner and your ready to hang!
(if you are hanging on a mantel you don't need the ties)


I originally wanted to add felt balls, but couldn't find any so I used these sparkly balls from Michaels.


Happy Crafting!

27 comments:

Mallory said...

It looks amazing! And just a simple craft!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

Nicole it looks fantastic, well done!

.caroline armelle. said...

very cute! i love garland!

and, p.s. thanks so much for posting about my jewelry!

Lovin That! said...

That looks great!! Thanks for sharing :-)

Katie said...

Love this!!! Definite going in my save pile for next year!

Heather J said...

how fun! thanks for the tutorial.

Allison {Live Love Small} said...

super cute!

Paiges of Style said...

So cute! You're inspiring me to return the fake garland that I already bought.

-m- said...

LOVE this! thank you for sharing:)

the waites said...

thanks my friend! I will be doing this next year. I loved your little boney knees in the the pic.

pollydove said...

wow, i have never seen anything like this! it is adorable! great idea.

becky said...

that is darling! thanks for sharing.

Rachel said...

ooooweeee i love this.

Blissful Mediocrity said...

Love this! Has such a WOW factor!!

Hillary Warlick said...

that is too cute! There are so many times I think to myself that I can make something that I see in stores, but seeing your finished product is so encouraging!

No.35style said...

love this! where did you find your felt?

Leigh said...

Love it!

corryfever said...

You are a talent! Just make mine.....

Audrey {Crisp} said...

So cute! Great job!

Kaity Teer said...

Oh, that garland is fantastic! Don't you love getting inspiration from Anthro?

Just stopping by to let you know I tagged in you a post on my blog today.

kaityteer.blogspot.com

Jenny said...

this looks so cute in your house! keep the cute ideas coming..

Candice said...

Okay, it only took driving to three craft stores before I found the two colors of green felt but now I need some help to make my garland!

Marianne - Style For Living said...

Brilliant!

The Bella Life said...

Girl, you are queen of garlands! I love this idea. Just wish I didn't feel so overwhelmed with work right now, I would LOVE to make this.

-Camberley

Daile Wilson said...

I love this cute idea!! It is so cute!!

Kristina Guilbeau said...

I have been reading your blog for a while now and absolutely love all of your creative ideas and tips!

I was actually in Anthro today and saw their version of this garland and I have to say that you totally nailed it! Yours looks just as awesome as theirs!

Keep the great ideas coming!

allegra said...

oh wow!! totally cute! love it!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...