Wednesday, September 8, 2010

roasted vegetables


Last night I made one of my favorite meals my mom makes.
It is so delicious.
It was perfect for the cold weather we had.
And, each ingredient is so good for you!


Balsamic Roasted Vegetables
from the cookbook Foster's Market

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup mixed chopped fresh herbs - I used rosemary, thyme and parsley
2 sweet potatoes
1 butternut squash
1 red onion
2 red bell peppers
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 head broccoli, stems removed, cut into florets
1 pound green beans, trimmed
garlic, peeled
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Fresh Herbs to garnish. optional

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

2. Whisk the vinegar, oil and herbs together in a large bowl. peel the sweet potatoes, squash (remove the seeds) and onion and cut into 2-inch wedges and add to the bowl. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon (reserving the marinade) and place on a rimmed baking sheet and put in the oven to bake 40 to 45 minutes. Stir several times during the cooking process. Make sure the vegetables are in one even layer and not piled on top of each other. You want them to roast, not steam. They will be golden in color and tender when done.

3. Meanwhile, seed the pepper and cut into 2- inch wedges and add to the same bowl with tomatoes, broccoli and beans. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven to bake 25 to 30 minutes.

4. Gently toss all of the vegetables in the bowl with any remaining cooking liquid, salt and pepper to mix. Serve hot or room temperature.


Enjoy!

4 comments:

LifestyleBohemia said...

I will definitely try this recipe - looks delicious!

Melissa said...

That looks very yummy! I have lots of fresh veggies from the garden so will have to give this a try.

The Bella Life said...

Mmmmm. I can practically taste the deliciousness. I'm a big vegetable roaster, but I've never even considered roasting them with balsamic vinegar. Brilliant. I'll definitely keep this recipe in my back pocket.

Heather said...

Wow that sounds and looks amazing! I definitely going to make this, thanks for the recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...