Friday, June 11, 2010

powder + mr. winston


I wanted to share with you our downstairs powder.
I was waiting to wallpaper, but a few months ago decided to paint.
The walls and ceiling are painted in a high gloss black.
I was somewhat nervous to do such a bold color, but I love bold colors in small spaces, so I went for it!


This was the last towel bar to get the boot in our home.
I am not a fan, I prefer a hook to a bar any day.
The mirror was an incredible find by my mom at a thrift store.
I love the size of it in our tiny powder.


The chandelier I made for a school project.
A lot of my classmates made more kitschy luminaires, but I wanted to make something that I could use.
I'm so glad I did, I really love the modern feel -- and I love a good DIY.


And now, we'd like to introduce you to the newest member of our family ...
Our dog Mr. Winston!
Presley could not be more obsessed with dogs, and since we are not ready, nor do we have the room, for a dog I thought this would suffice!
(and, I really wanted a dog statue for a while now)
A day doesn't go by that I hear Presley in the powder giving Winston kisses and talking to "doggie"
She is in love.


Here are some detail shots.
The powder is almost complete,
my next project is to paint a floral piece with lots of color for above the toilet.
And I'm searching for an affordable colorful rug with a dark background.
I have had the one I'm using for five years now.






Have a great weekend
xo!

24 comments:

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

fabulous, Winston looks great too!!
Love the chandelier, well done, Id love to know how you made it!!
have a great weekend, and thanks for sharing!

Shelly Hyde said...

such a pretty little spot... winston is my kind of dog.

Jamie said...

Ok Nicole, I am pretty much obsessed with your blog and your creativity. Your powder room looks FABULOUS! As do you and your beautiful family. I'm so glad I discovered your beautiful blog!

Marie said...

I love the mirror :) I like your decorating style. I'll have to wait to see the mural, I kinda like the mirror being the center piece of the room :D

Katy said...

The paint color is FAB! It inspires me to do something bold like that!

sarah marie. said...

love the black. and can you please do a diy on your blog for that chandelier? or is it way too hard for us non designers?

Hillary said...

Wow! amazing job with your lighting...so smart to fulfill your project with something you will use and love!

Kim said...

Lovely powder room!! just the most amazing place to go bold...love love the black!!

kerstin said...

I second the DIY on a chandelier. And good call on Mr. Winston. As I've learned from family members, potty training and house breaking do not always go hand in hand.

Lauren said...

You are so brave! But it paid off because it looks fabulous! And I LOVE Mr. Winston.

Sandi said...

Love it all!

Chrissy said...

Ok, Love Mr. Winston, did I mention that when I was over? Because I meant to...and then last night I dreamt that Mr. Winston was in my house....haha, literally. Love it!

other-option said...

Love the black wall/ceiling color. You must've used the same tutorial for the hanging fixture I've had bookmarked for months - so cool. I love the macrame look of the cord....
- Danielle

paula said...

It looks gorgeous! love the black with that mirror. Love the chandelier, great work! Also, where did you get your dining table? love the color.

Bold and Beautiful said...

I love everything about it (especially Winston) You have such lovely taste, and a lovely family & Home!

Heather J said...

what a pretty powder room! i'm loving the thrifted mirror and the chandelier that you made. thanks for sharing!

Stephanie said...

Can you do a DIY post on the light fixture? It's stunning!

ChelsieWatts said...

This room is gorgeous, I can't get over the bold black paint and that dog statue. Amazing. You are one talented lady!

MCD said...

It looks great! Winston is a great name for a pup. Ou Westie is named Jack Winston :)

Rachel said...

mr. winston sure is a classy stud. who knew a black powder room could look so good? im liking this. a lot.

Emily A. Clark said...

This is stunning! I love that you were brave enough to do the black; it definitely paid off.

Just found your blog through LGN :)

La Dolfina said...

Hi, I just found you via Little Green Notebook. I love the lighting fixture you made as well as your powder room. I'm looking forward to following your blog as I like what i see around here!!

colleen said...

Amazing, would've never considered such a color!

Handbags*N*Pigtails said...

I was excited to see your powder room link on another blog because Ive been contemplating doing the same thing in ours(going bold with the color, huge gold mirror,etc...)
I cant wait to see it all completed with your colorful artwork and rug.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...