Monday, April 12, 2010

Hazelnut-Crusted Chicken with Creamy Thyme Sauce

Here is the recipe I promised. My mom got this recipe from a cooking class she took with some girlfriends in Newport Beach. I wish I would have taken a picture of the meal, but trust me that anyone who has my mom's chicken raves! You must try this at home!

Hazelnut Crusted Chicken
2 cups fresh bread crumbs
3/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and finely chopped
1 tsp. fine sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 eggs lightly whisked
6 (organic) boneless, skinless half chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2"
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup grapeseed oil

On a baking sheet, combine bread crumbs and nuts. In a bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper, dredge the chicken, patting off excess flour. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then coat well with nut mixture. In a large saute pan heat butter and oil. Saute chicken 3-4 minutes on each side and remove to a paper towel lined oven safe platter. Allow to rest 10 minutes and serve with Creamy Thyme Sauce.


Creamy Thyme Sauce

1 cup wine
1 cup chicken stock
1 Tbs. finely chopped shallots
1/2 cup creme fraiche
1 Tbs dijon mustard
1 Tbs finely chopped thyme
1 Tbs finely chopped parsley
fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a small saucepan, combine wine, stock and shallots and reduce to 1/2 cup. Add creme fraiche and mustard; reduce until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add herbs and season to taste with salt and pepper.

**Tips from my Mom: Allow plenty of time for the sauce. It takes at least half an hour for the wine and chicken stock to reduce. This is especially true when you double or triple the recipe. We always do this because everyone LOVES the sauce.

I like to get the reduction out of the way earlier in the day or the night before and then refrigerate until ready to continue.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

KIDLARK said...

yum yum yum...so excited to try this sometime.

Scott & Adie said...

"Mom" here -- allow plenty of time for the sauce. It takes at least half an hour for the wine and chicken stock to reduce. This is especially true when you double or triple the recipe. We always do this because everyone LOVES the sauce.

I like to get the reduction out of the way earlier in the day or the night before and then refrigerate until ready to continue.

Annie said...

I recently discovered your blog...it's so much fun! I really want to give this recipe a try, but have a few questions.

Is wine supposed to be used because you mention it in the "how to assemble" part, but not in the actual recipe. Did you use white grape juice instead of wine?Also, why is it important to use an oven safe platter for the chicken, is it supposed to go in the oven to finish cooking? Hopefully these aren't stupid questions. Thanks!

nicole me oh my! said...

Annie, yes I do have whit grape juice written there! Thanks for pointing that out, it originally called for that but we use wine, the alcohol cooks out, because we liked the flavor better.

And about the oven safe platter, I don't see where I wrote that, but it is not important, it might be nice because the chicken is hot from the pan, but any platter will do! I hope you enjoy!

Annie said...

Thanks for clarifying, I can't wait to try it out!

Lori said...

Hi Nicole! Not sure if you remember me but it is Lori Hoelting (Thuerbach is what you will remember:) ) I found your blog awhile ago and love seeing what you all are up to these days! Your little Presley is a doll! I had to let you know that I tried this recipe and it was AMAZING!!!!! Definitely will be eating this a lot in the future! Thanks for sharing!

Emily Curfew said...

Do you use a white wine? What kind? Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...